30 Fall-Themed Gratitude Journal Prompts
You've heard over and over again the importance of practicing gratitude in your life. Motivational speakers and coaches talk about it. Religion and spiritual practices talk about it. And yes, even your therapist keeps mentioning the importance of building gratitude into your life [this therapist is guilty as charged].
If you want to know more about the science of gratitude, Berkely has compiled some interesting information based on research in their blog, How Gratitude Changes You and Your Brain. One fantastic fact is that practicing gratitude regularly can change how our brain thinks and processes our experiences.
But there are only so many '10 things I'm grateful for lists that one can make before the practice gets tiring and, quite frankly, mundane. One way that we can cut through the boredom is by utilizing gratitude journal prompts. The goal is that you have a journal prompt that you use to focus your thoughts on things you are grateful for. This can be done as an everyday practice or even just when you feel like you need more gratitude in your life.
You can do this by simply using a list of prompts and writing in a plain notebook. You can build these prompts into your daily journal if you have one. Or, you can purchase a gratitude journal that has prompts readily available.
Below, I've provided 30 gratitude prompts that are great for reflecting on things you're thankful for during the fall season:
- My favorite memory of fall is…
- A tradition that I will always cherish is…
- Reflect on someone you enjoy spending time with
- How I would like to cherish this season of life:
- My family is a blessing because…
- When did you show bravery and courage?
- When has someone given you something for free? Why did you appreciate it?
- What’s one positive thing your body allows you to do every day?
- Who is there to help you when you need support?
- Who inspires you to be a better person? Why?
- Something I'm looking forward to is…
- Something you love about the weather or season today is…
- Write down an activity/hobby that brings you joy and why:
- Describe a smell that always makes you smile and why:
- Write a word of encouragement for yourself to read when you're having a bad day
- When are you most at peace? What themes do you notice?
- Write down a quote that speaks to your heart and why it's special to you.
- List 10 things you are grateful for right now.
- A place that makes me feel calm and content is…
- Write about something that made you laugh or smile today:
- Write a poem using turkey, harvest, thankful, family, and pumpkin pie.
- Write about your favorite scene in a movie or book that warms your heart…
- Have you ever been to a bonfire in the fall? If so, describe the experience.
- Would you rather go apple-picking on a fall afternoon or try out a corn maze? Why?
- Write about a hidden blessing in a difficult situation.
- Write about someone you will miss this holiday season and why…
- Describe your family's Thanksgiving celebration using all five senses.
- Write a word of encouragement to send to a friend when they're having a bad day:
- What is your favorite holiday movie from childhood and why?
- What holiday tradition would you like your family to continue and why?
These prompts are taken directly from my first published journal, Harvest Blessings: 30 Days of Gratitude. You're free to use the prompts without buying the journal.
But if you feel like having these prompts available (along with a bonus “3 things” gratitude prompt on each page, plus beautiful, inspiring fall-themed artwork), you can purchase it on Amazon and have it in just a few days!
Below, I've included a sneak peek of the inside journal pages. You can purchase my fall-themed guided gratitude journal here.